Amazing Roles Actors Turned Down! (fascinating!)
There are so many movies that have been released and yet there are only a few that have become really famous spiralling the leads into endless money and stardom. However before the lead roles got cast, other actors were offered the parts. Some of the movies would have been totally different had these actors not turned them down.
Which Actors regret their decision now?
Mel Gibson turned down the part of Maximus in Gladiator (played by Russell Crowe)
Jack Nicholson turned down the part of Michael Corleone in The Godfather (played by Al Pacino)
John Travolta turned down the part of James Bond in Casino Royale (played by Daniel Craig)
Will Smith and Ewen McGregor turned down the part of Neo in The Matrix (played by Keanu Reeves)
Matt Damon and Jake Gyllenhaul turned down the part of Jake Sully in Avatar (played by Sam Worthington)
David Boreanz turned down the part of Batman in Batman Begins (played by Christian Bale)
Tom Selleck turned down the part of Indiana in Indiana Jones (played by Harrison Ford)
Denzel Washington turned down the part of Ray in Ray (played by Jamie Foxx)
Freddie Prinze Jr turned down the part of Peter Parker in Spiderman (played by Tobey Maguire)
Bruce Willis turned down the part of Sam in Ghost (played by Patrick Swayze)
Al Pacino turned down the part of Edward in Pretty Woman (played by Richard Gere)
Tom Cruise turned down the parts: Ren McCormack in Footloose (played by Kevin Bacon), Ferris in Ferris Buellers Day Off (played by Matthew Broderick)
Tobey Maguire and Jude Law turned down the part of Will Turner in Pirates of the Caribbean (played by Orlando Bloom)
And finally..who do you think is the Actor who has turned down the most infamous roles? (It is not who you think it would be!)
……. JIM CARREY- has turned down the following: Jack Sparrow in Pirates of the Caribbean (played by Johnny Depp), Ted in Sixteen Candles (played by Anthony Michael Hall), Ferris in Ferris Bueller’s Day Off (played by Matthew Broderick), Edward in Edward Scissorhands (played by Johnny Depp), Gaylord Focker in Meet The Parents, Willy in Charlie and The Chocolate Factory (played by Johnny Depp).
Anyone else starting to see a trend? I would never have put Johnny Depp and Jim Carrey in the same casting group. Some of these movies would be entirely different had the actors not turned down some of the roles above!
Now for the Actresses, which of them regret a decision they made in the past?
Dana Delaney turned down the part of Carrie in Sex and The City (played by Sarah Jessica Parker)
Molly Ringwald turned down Vivian in Pretty Woman (played by Julia Roberts) and Molly in Ghost (played by Demi Moore)
Julia Roberts turned down the part of Viola in Shakespeare In Love (played by Gwyneth Paltrow)
Gwyneth Paltrow turned down the part of Rose in Titanic (played by Kate Winslet)
Not quite as many big surprises, unlike the Actors, but still a few of the roles above would have made a massive difference if the Actress had said Yes! I mean can you imagine Molly Ringwald in Pretty Woman opposite Richard Gere. It just does not seem quite right!
- Native actor commends Johnny Depp’s portrayal of Tonto (rapidcityjournal.com)
- Johnny Kitties: Celebrating Johnny Depp Film #34–Pirates of the Caribbean: Dead Man’s Chest (2006) (melissaconnolly.blogspot.com)
- The Man Who Helps Johnny Depp Put His Face On (npr.org)
- You Won’t Believe How Old Johnny Depp Turns Today (huffingtonpost.com)
- Is Johnny Depp still a movie star? (youregonnaneedabiggerblog.com)
- 50 Things You Didn’t Know About Johnny Depp (celebuzz.com)
- Amber Heard: Johnny Depp’s island is my private world (metro.co.uk)
- What happens when an actor turns 50? Ask Johnny Depp – Boston Globe (1bedouin.wordpress.com)
- Star Wars: Why Al Pacino turned down the role of Han Solo (telegraph.co.uk)
- Tobey Maguire: ‘Great Gatsby’ Visual Before & After Video Released! (justjared.com)