Rich and Bankrupt
The amount of time I open a newspaper or read on the internet about the newest person to win the Lottery I feel sickened by the thought that in just a few years those people might waste it away without a care in the world. Now obviously not everyone would waste it but there are a few that have been given the chance of a life time and blown it (sometimes it is because of lottery winnings or famous musicians and actors who have lost their stardom).
So I decided today to look at all the different people who have gone from earning a fortune to bankruptcy:
Celebrities who have gone bankrupt:
to name just a few…..!
So who has won millions of pounds by chance and squandered it to the point where they are just as poor as they began with:
Jack Whittaker won a record $314.9m Powerball jackpot in 2002.
Since then he has had a long list of arrests, lawsuits, broken relationships and even death. In 2007, his then wife, Jewell admitted she wished she had ‘torn up the ticket’.
William “Bud” Post won $16.2 million in the Pennsylvania lottery in 1988.
He later described the experience as a ‘nightmare’ and wishes it had never happened – who can blame him after he was sued by a former girlfriend eager to get her hands on the cash and his brother hired a hitman in the hope of inheriting the winnings. He invested in ill-fated family businesses and within a year was $1m in debt. Today he gets by on social security payments.
Janite Lee won $18 million in 1993.
Her generosity in giving money to a variety of political, educational and community causes was commendable – but just eight years later she filed for bankruptcy.
Willie Hurt won $3.1 million in 1989.
Two years later the money was gone and he was on a murder charge. Hurt spent his fortune on a divorce and crack cocaine.
Charles Riddle won $1 million in 1975.
The original lottery car crash, he quickly got divorced, faced several lawsuits and was eventually indicted for selling cocaine.
- Saturday’s winning numbers in the Pennsylvania Lottery (pennlive.com)
- Winning Lottery Ticket Worth $1 Million Sold In Montgomery County (philadelphia.cbslocal.com)
- Powerball numbers for Oct. 5; jackpot increases to $108 million (mlive.com)
- Mega Millions numbers for Oct. 8; tonight’s Powerball jackpot at $108 million (mlive.com)
- Mega Millions Changes Rules For Better Odds (pittsburgh.cbslocal.com)
- $2 million Powerball ticket sold at Wegmans in Silver Spring Township (cumberlink.com)
- PA Lottery Sells Powerball Ticket Worth $1 Million in Montgomery County (sacbee.com)
- PA Lottery Sells Powerball Ticket Worth $1 Million in Montgomery County (sys-con.com)
- Roll of dice changes Lottery player’s life! (milotteryconnect.com)
- Arkansas Man Wins The Lottery (wreg.com)